Skip to main content

Preflight

I don't think there's anyone in the world who has never dreamt of flying. For most people, its just a silly fantasy that they never really plan on fulfilling; most of us dream about being a super hero too, but that doesn't mean we devise a plan to become one. However, for many people, there comes a day when they think to themselves, "Hey, maybe I actually could do that." They discover that flying people don't just consist of airline pilots, fighter pilots, stunt show pilots, and super heroes, but also just normal, run of the mill everyday people who you wouldn't even know were pilots if you didn't ask them. They aren't filthy rich, they don't do it for their career, they  don't have any special powers, but yet, they've realized the dream of flying which most people will never accomplish.

So, a dreamer decides to look into what it takes to learn to fly. They google it, walk up to a flight school, or ask a pilot friend and here roughly the same story: "Good for you! You should definitely learn to fly! It takes a lot of work, but it really isn't as hard as you think. You're going to love it! And guess what, most people at such and such flight school get their license for only $15,000!" That's a shocking number, and while that's just a ballpark estimate I pulled out of nowhere, that's a pretty reasonable cost in some areas, and I'm not even talking about the most expensive areas. I've done a lot of research into how much it costs to get a pilots license, and I've heard numbers as low as $6,000 and as high as $20,000. That's where a lot of the dreamers just decide to go back to dreaming, and frankly, I can't blame them. Not all of us have that kind of money just lying around. Also, it turns out that once you have your license, it still costs a lot of money to fly, whether you rent or own your aircraft. It seems like the more you study how much being a pilot costs, the more you find out about other little (and big) things you are going to have to pay for.

So what about the people who only own shirts that they got for free from summer camps back when they were in high school? What about the people who have so many holes in their socks that they can't always tell which one is for their ankles? What about the people who need to support their families who (quite outrageously) think that diapers are more important than 100LL (airplane gas)? Well, I'm hoping this blog can help them.

My name is Nate. I'm not poor, but I'm not rich, and I'm certainly stingy. I'm not pilot, but I will be. The purpose of this blog is threefold: 1) to help myself and my readers to find the most cost effective way to obtain a pilot's license, 2) to track my progress as I train to become a pilot, and 3) to help myself and my readers learn tips about stingy flying after obtaining a license.

As I said before, I'm not a pilot. In fact, I'm not even a student pilot. I'm studying to find out the best way to be a student pilot, so I guess you could say I'm a student student pilot. As a student student pilot, I'm far from being an expert on anything flight related, so the success of this blog largely depends on the feedback from my readers. I am going to try to study up on each topic that I post about as much as I can, but I am also hoping that readers will leave comments on the posts and send me emails at thestingypilot@gmail.com. Also, keeping a blog is a lot of work and I probably won't find the motivation to keep it going for very long unless it is actually helping people, so if you have a comment on how to improve it, please send me that feedback as well.

Happy flying!

If you have comments specifically regarding this post, please leave them in the comments section below. If you have comments regarding any other topic related to cost effective flying or some general feedback about the blog overall, please send them to thestingypilot@gmail.com and I will try to address them in a future post.

This post was updated in April 2021 with more realistic numbers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bug

Before we dive into topics about how to save money on aviation, I wanted to give my readers some background on myself and why I'm interested in aviation. If you don't care about me and just want to hear advice on flight training, go ahead and skip this post. Stay tuned though, I promise my later posts will be less personal and more applicable to all of the other stingy pilots out there. There's no explaining why we as aviation enthusiasts have a need to fly; sure we'll try to justify it by saying its a quick way to get from one place to another, but its really a lot more than that. We are inflicted with a disease which pilots refer to as "the bug" and once we're infected, we just have to get up in the air. I can't say for sure when I contracted the bug, but it was before I can remember. I have pictures that show of me snuggling my fighter jet blanket (with F-14s and F-4s and I can't remember what else) when I was still young enough to be using

I'm back!

I haven't posted in a while (over 5 years 😬) because it occurred to me that no one really wants to read a blog about flight training from someone who isn't actually flight training. Well, I'm still not technically actually flight training yet, but I'm finally getting really serious about it. I'm in the process of talking to CFIs and flight schools, I finished ground school, I have my costs all budgeted out, most of it saved up, and a plan for how the rest will be saved up. I'm actually ready to start training now, unfortunately my flight school isn't ready for me yet... Its probably still going to be a few months before my actual flight, but I'm going to try to crank out as many blog posts as I can between now and then, because once I actually start flying, things are going to get really  busy and I won't have as much time to write. Anyway, just wanted to drop a quick post just to let you (my imaginary readers) know that I'm getting started back

My Pumpkin

This doesn't necessarily fit into the scope of this blog. But I carved a pumpkin for halloween this year and I'm very proud of it so I wanted to share it with my readers. Here it is, and F-35B Lightning II And in case you're curious, this is what it looks like in the light. Doesn't look as good this way, but you can get a little bit of a better feel for how I did it.